Vegetable upma is known for its popular South Indian popular breakfast. Along with the Dosas and sambhars other thing which south indians like is the vegetable upma. Upma is also famous in Maharashtra in breakfast items. Today I am going to reveal you my personal recipe method of Vegetable Upma. I don't like my Rava Upma drier rather a bit sticky one. I love to add a little bit extra water and offcourse some exotic vegetables with it to give it a taste.Upma is usually served with coconut chutney, curd, lemon slices or lemon pickle. It can also be had plain. It completely your choice on how you want to have it.
So I am today sharing the Vegetable Rava Upma recipe. Do try this at home and let me know in the comment section about the same.
- 1 cup rava / semolina.
- 1 onion, finely chopped.
- ¼ cup peas (fresh or frozen) optional item.
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, chopped (carrots, and cauliflower).
- 2 red chillies, chopped medium sized (adjust to taste).
- 1" piece ginger, grated.(optional)
- A few curry leaves.
- ½ tsp urad dal.
- 1/2tsp Hing/ asafetida and Haldi.
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds / kaduku or Cummin seeds.
- Coriander leaves, chopped, for garnish.
- 1 tsp oil(Depends on the quantity)
- Salt to taste.
- Heat oil in the pan or kadhai and add the urad dal. Let it be little brown and then add cummin seeds. Let it roast a bit slightly. Add Hing/asafetida and Haldi in it and immediately add curry leaves and red chilli.
- Mix it properly. Add chopped onions in it and mix until its slightly brown. Now mix all the vegetales like carrot,cauliflower,peas. Mix them properly on a low flame.
- Dry roast the rava in a pan until it turns a light brown (about 5-7 mins) on a low flame. This is what I do next . I add hot water around 500ml and mix it till the vegetables become soft . You all can add cold water also. Quantity depends on you if you want it dry or sticky. I prefer a bit sticky.
- Next step is to add salt and mix it well. You can do this process in a higher flame once you add the salt,stir it continously to avoid lumps. Continue to stir till it soaks the water for 5 mins.
- Lower the flame and add coriander leaves to garnish in the end.
- That's it. You are done. Serve hot using Curd/Lemon Pickle/Coconut chutney with Sev(optional) with it.