Medu Wada is one of the popular dishes we eat with Sambhar/ Chutney. It is fried, crispy, and made using lentils. Here is the complete recipe for Medu Wada. Check it out.
- 1 cup Urad Dal (Split White Lentils)
- 1 medium onion or 2-3 shallots, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed Black Peppercorns
- 5-7 Curry Leaves, finely chopped, optional
- 1-2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- A pinch of Asafoetida (hing), optional
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves
- Oil, for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Take 1 cup urad dal in a small deep pot.
- Wash it 2-3 times in water and then soak it in approx. 1½ cups water for 2-3 hours. Don’t soak it for more than 3 hours. If possible, use whole skinned urad dal instead of split urad dal.
- Drain excess water from the dal and transfer it to the jar of a blender/mixer grinder.
- Grind until the batter is fluffy and have a smooth texture. Sprinkle a few drops of cold water while grinding to grind it smoothly. Don’t add too much water while grinding (added less than 1/2 cup water).
- While grinding, scrap the sides with a spatula and sprinkle water as needed to grind it smoothly. The batter should be thick in consistency.
- Transfer batter into a bowl and beat it using your hand for 1-2 minutes in one direction. This process incorporates air which makes the vada light and fluffy. To check the batter is fluffy enough or not, drop a small portion of batter in the bowl filled with water and if it floats on the surface it means that batter is fluffy enough.
- Add 1 finely chopped onion (optional), 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns, 5-7 chopped curry leaves, 1-2 chopped green chilies, a pinch of asafetida (hing), 2-3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and salt.
- Heat oil in a deep Kadai or frying pan over medium flame. Wet your palm with water. Take a medium lemon sized portion of batter on your palm, press it gently, and make thick round shaped vada.
- Make a whole/round in the center using your thumb.
- When the oil is medium hot, slowly slide vada in it; you can add 3-4 Vadas at a time. Flip and deep-fry both sides until they turn lightly golden brown and crisp.
- Drain excess oil and transfer them over kitchen paper on a plate. Repeat the same process for the remaining batter. Spongy Medu vada is ready to serve with hot sambar or chutney whichever is your preference