Crab Masala is a fragrant medley of spices and aromatics. Its spicy punch is set off deliciously by the sweet crab meat. This beautiful recipe is shared by Rahul Wagh who is a software tester from Mumbai.
Here is a complete recipe for Crab Masala.
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon.
- Green chilies (crushed) - 2-3 numbers.
- Ginger (crushed) - 1/2 teaspoon.
- Garlic cloves (crushed) - 1/2 teaspoon.
- Salt - to taste.
- Freshly grated coconut - 1 tablespoon.
- Onions (chopped) - 1-1/2 cup.
- Oil - 3 tablespoons.
- Cardamom - 2 numbers.
- Cinnamon sticks - 5-6(small) numbers.
- Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon.
- Peppercorns - 1 teaspoon.
- Dry red chilies - 4-5 numbers.
- Coriander seeds - 2 tablespoons.
- Crabs (cleaned and cut into pieces) - 500 grams.
- Garam masala powder - 1 teaspoon.
- Malvani masala dry powder - 1 tablespoon.
- Tomato puree (freshly made) - 1 cup.
- Water - as required.
- Freshly ground coconut with coconut milk - 1 cup.
- Coriander leaves (chopped) - 1 spring.
- Heat a pan and dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies, peppercorn, cinnamon sticks, and cardamom.
- Once they start releasing their aroma, add 1 tablespoon oil,1 cup of chopped onions, and saute until the onions turn golden in color.
- Add some grated coconut and cook till it gets browned, remove and make a paste of these ingredients in the blender and keep aside.
- Add some oil in a hot pan add chopped onions, salt, and saute until the golden turn golden in color.
- Add crushed garlic, ginger, and green chilies.
- Add some turmeric powder, garam masala, and masala mix (red chili powder and Malvani masala).
- To this add 1 cup tomato puree and mix well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the masala paste (ground at the first).
- Add crab (cleaned and cut into pieces), water enough to cover all the crab pieces and mix, cover the pan with a lid and allow cooking for about 10-12 minutes until the crab is cooked
- Add freshly ground coconut along with coconut milk to the mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.