Dabeli, Kutchi dabeli also known as double roti is a very popular snack food of India, originating in the Kutch or Kachchh region of Gujarat. It is considered to be a favorite snack item of Gujarati People. Let's give it a try to make it at home as well.
an engineer by profession and a passionate foodie from Mumbai who loves to cook as well as shared Homemade Styled Kutchi Dabeli with us. Here is the complete recipe below. Do share your valuable comments with us.
Home made Kutcchi Dabeli
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds (Dhania)
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 tbsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1/2 tbsp Sesame Seeds (Til)
- 2-4 Clove (Laung)
- 2-4 Black Peppercorns (Kali Miri)
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick (Taj)
- 1/2 Star Anise (Chakri Fool)
- 1-2 Bay Leaves (Tamal Patra)
- 1-2 Dry Red Chillies
- 5 tbsp Dry Coconut Grated
- 1 tsp Black salt (Kala namak)
- 1 tsp Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Dry roast Coriander Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Clove, Black Peppercorns, Cinnamon, Star Anise, Bay Leaves, Dry Red Chillies, Dry Coconut for 2-3 minutes or aromatic.
- Cool the dry roasted whole spices and blend into a fine powder.
- Remove in a bowl and add Black salt, Amchur, Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, Powdered Sugar, Oil and mix well.
- Your homemade dabeli masala is ready.
Tip: For more authentic taste you can use ready-made Dabeli masala available in the market.
- 5-6 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Powder sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1tbsp Desiccated Coconut (Powdered dry coconut)
- 1 tbsp oil
- In a nonstick pan add 1 tbsp oil Add whole garlic cloves and dry coconut powder to roast for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- In a blender add the roasted garlic mixture with remaining ingredients and blend it finely.
- You add a bit of water if required to maintain chutneys consistency.
- Your Garlic chutney is ready.
- 3-4 Medium to big Sized Potatoes
- Boiled, peeled and mashed
- 2-4 tbsp Prepared dabeli masala
- 1 tbsp Prepared Garlic chutney
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2-4 tbsp water (or as required)
- 6-8 tbsp Freshly Grated Coconut
- 4-6 tbsp Freshly chopped Coriander
- In a bowl mix the homemade dabeli masala, garlic chutney with a little water, and 1 tbsp sugar or jaggery to balance the spiciness (optional).
- In a non-stick pan, heat the oil add the prepared dabeli masala mixture.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for a minute stirring it continuously.
- Then add the mashed potatoes, and a little water, mix well and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add salt to taste and stir continuously until mixture is formed.
- Now switch off the flame, and transfer the prepared mixture into a plate or bowl.
- You need to press the potato mixture well with the help of a spoons back.
- Let it cool at room temperature and then garnish with fresh coriander and grated coconut on top.
- Ladi pav (Bun)
- Masala peanuts
- Finely chopped Onion
- Nylon Sev (Barik Sev)
- Slit the pav from 2 sides and apply the prepared garlic Chutney inside (you can also apply sweet chutney or green chutney if you want) as per taste.
- Now add a spoon full of potato stuffing and press a bit into the pav.
- Add a little chopped onion and a bit of masala peanut and again fill a spoon of potato stuffing and seal the pav.
- Now on a Tawa or nonstick pan cook the prepared dabeli from both sides using butter.
- Once dabeli is cooked u can roll the 2 open sides into nylon sev and serve hot.
- Serve with garlic Chutney and chopped onion on side and sev on top.
- Your most tasty Kutchi Dabeli is ready.
Preparation time 20-25 minutes. Cooking time 10-15 minutes